Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Breakfast for Champions! Silky smooth Taiwan Mee Sua for that omph!


Breakfasts to me are sacred. This is because weekday mornings are spent zooming around as I do my chauffeur duties sending everyone off to work and school. So the only time I get to slow down and relish in yummilicious breakfast would be the weekends and over public holidays.

My best memory of breakfast is where I sit down and people watch in a hawker centre as I slurp up raw sliced fish generously dressed with spring onions and shallots and, with a dose of light soya sauce with pepper. Accompanied with thick and smooth “Cantonese style” porridge and finishing the treat with a nice hot cup of Kopi O. Haha, that says a lot about me - a “cheena” girl with very Asian palate for breakfast.


When Adora Tan initiated a breakfast blog hop party - Breakfast for Champions, without any hesitation, my choice was to prepare something Asian. Something piping hot, something that is easy and quick to cook for the busy mums yet suitable for even young children.

Introducing...... Taiwan Silky Smoooooth Mee Sua

I have a love affair with this dish. I first tried it at the Shilin Taiwan street food stall and being an oyster and mee sua lover, I was hooked! I love the silky smoothness of the dish and the “well balanced” mesh of sourness and spiciness.

The dish is also suitable for very young children (sans the vinegar and chili of course :p) who are just being introduced to solids as the noodle is very soft.



Ingredients:

1. 1 can of Chicken Stock (I opted for No MSG type) + 1 can equivalent of water

2. 1 can of straw mushrooms (cut into thin slices)

3. 3 bundles of Mee Sua (Vermicelli)
(Pre-soak these for 5 - 10 mins as the noodles are fairly salty)

4. Shredded chicken (I bought BBQ spring chicken and shredded it. You can easily get these from a neighbourhood BBQ stall or from the Rotisserie at Cold Storage)

5. 2 – 3 slices of “old” ginger

6. A fistful of spring onions cut into 2” long

7. 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 1/3 cup of water



Seasoning

1. Half to one teaspoon of dark soya sauce (more for achieving colour)

2. Oyster sauce to taste (I did not use any because my BBQ chicken was quite salty)

3. Optional: Rice wine




To cook:

Steps as below:


Optional: you can add in rice wine / hao tiao before cornstarch mixture.
 
Add shallots, more chopped spring onions, chili and vinegar. Place shredded chicken over mee sua. Serve piping hot (serves 2 - 3)!
 
 
 
This is a Breakfast for Champions initiative. Click on the button below to find out what other yummy delights you can make for your family. :)


6 comments:

  1. Super Yums lor!! Making me drool in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I feel hungry looking at this! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adeline *wave*

    I can see who is the night owl and who loves supper lo :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey mummybean *wave*

    Thanks for popping by again! Please try the recipe and let me know if it is any good ok? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so good! Am going to try this together with your basil beef dish which is also one of my fav. Thanks for sharing this.
    p/s: what does "old" ginger mean? Sorry I'm such a newbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natasha!

      Old ginger is the dryer wrinkly type? It is spicier where the heat builds up slowly and has a stronger taste too. :) Here's to hlpe you along: http://www.pyroenergen.com/articles10/fresh-dried-ginger.htm

      This dish is really yummy and is still a favourite in our household too. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Be warned: All content in this blog is copyright protected.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected