Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Circuit Breaker & home-based learning: a week on...


I have been on a split team WFH basis since end February and like all, with the circuit breaker, I have since then transitioned to fully working from home. With the kiddo also doing full home-based learning, honestly it has been challenging.

While working (back to back con calls daily), I have to still attend to the kiddo’s IT problems, emotional needs (she is missing her friends and get grumpy as it is just worksheets and quizzes from period daily without much engagement) and we can’t go out of the house to do for e.g. some netball drills. 

So along the way, during this past week, I’ve learnt many things which would equip me better for the next circuit breaker / even an extension.

1. Top up top up!
I am not talking about food here (that’s below). The whole circuit breaker thing took most of us by surprise so while most are doing panic groceries shopping, I was mainly at home as I was trying to stay away from the crowd.

About a week into full HBL, my ink cartridge (the printer is new mind you!) ran out after printing out worksheets after worksheets from her enrichment classes. As it was new, I really had no inking as to how much ink would be used hence I was unprepared for this. And then just yesterday, the kiddo told me that some of her pens seem to be running low on ink too.

So that started my online hunt for more pens (Popular bookstore is closed!) and going on Shopee & Qoo10 to purchase new ink cartridges and pens. On this note, I have to say that I am very thankful we still have pencil leads!

2. Alternative groceries sources
After trying my luck and waiting for a slot at redmart for about 3 odd weeks, I finally had a delivery slot last evening. But as alternative sources, I’ve found that Singaporeans are very resourceful especially when it comes to our favourite national pastime – eating / food. I have a regular estate group buy chat group which I belong to where I've been ordering fruits to meat to seafood.  

However, there are 2 Facebook groups that I have just joined – Hawkers United which is basically set up where we can either pre-order in advance for quicker takeaways / for food delivery as well as Pasar United where anything from meat to seafood to fruits and vegetables can be ordered online / via whats app and then delivered to you.

Some of these sellers even have pre-packed bundles for our convenience

Image may contain: food

Image may contain: ‎food, ‎possible text that says '‎Set B: Seabass Seafood Set $50 nett 8ش‎'‎‎

3. Eyeballing
During the first week of HBL, I saw how restless my kid was. I am not sure if your children’s attention span is really good but for Dumpling, she has been missing her friends and social interaction. Additionally, for us, HBL has so far just been online attempts – quizzes and MCQs online + preprinted worksheets prepared by the teachers prior to the closure so this of course cannot be compared to frontal teaching. 

For the first 2 days, she was distracted and did not finish the exercises on time. As we had classes after the school’s HBL, it was really draining for me to nag (while working) and for her as well as we ended “school day” really late on those occasions.

So what I am still attempting to do is to get her to wind down at night as per the usual time so that she is up on time for her HBL. At the same time, I have shifted my “workstation” to her study area so that there’s some still some nagging and hand holding along the way.

4. One dish wonders for lunch
For lunch, as it is right smack in the middle of my work day, to be frank, I am unable to indulge and cook the usual soup and dishes (三菜一汤) but have gone into cooking noodles “zichar” style where all ingredients are in that 1 dish 


Image may contain: food


(More food photos and ideas are shared on my IG account! Please follow me and share your thoughts and ideas too)

as well as dishes which you can simmer over the stove – beef ribs stew yesterday.

Image may contain: food, possible text that says 'STAY HOME'
(Recipe link here)

So here's what I've learnt from the past week. What about you guys? How are you all holding up? I hope that the circuit breaker would help to flatten the curve and we can see the numbers decline in about 1.5 - 2 weeks time. Prayerfully, the worldwide situation improves soon too. Till the next post, please stay safe, and please stay home!   

 If you have enjoyed this post, please follow me on my Facebook Page where I share my parenting thoughts (both on the kiddo and my furkid), food photos (be prepared for tons of them!), outdoor fun, useful reviews, early shout outs for giveaways and interact with you, my readers! You can also follow me on Pinterest and Instagram 


1 comment:

  1. I blog frequently and I appreciate your information. Your article really impressed me the most. I will bookmark your blog and keep up to date with your latest news
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    ប្រដាល់

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Be warned: All content in this blog is copyright protected.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected