Thursday, June 13, 2013

A blend and a scrape - Viola! Lychee Sorbet

Sponsored Review

The last time I shopped for a blender was at least 7 years ago. 7 years could mean a huge change in family dynamics - then I was cooking lesser as it was just the 2 of us. 7 years later, my blender is stained, I have a child and my blender can no longer cope with the amount of blending we now do with frequent homecook meals.

One of the things I like to use my blender for are smoothies and making of ice creams. I am a fan of Jamie Oliver and have several of his cookbooks. I like that his recipes always hones in on simplicity - quick and easy meals and using seasonal fresh produce that are easily available.


It has been a hot couple of months here in Singapore. Dumpling, like all other kids, like anything cold and sweet. Lychees are in season now and after buying a box of it, I know I just had to try my hand at making Sorbet.

Traditionally used as a palate cleanser, Sorbet has since evolved to being 'more'. Our family has always been into making our own jams and such hence, I wanted to dabble into Sorbet. But more than that, a 'no ice-cream maker' sorbet which is easy to make! This recipe is also great for lactose intolerant children!

So away we peeled and blended the lychees!



:: Recipe:
1. 1/2 cup of lemon juice
2. 1/2 cup of white sugar
3. 1 cup of water
4. 3 cups of lychee 

Step 1: Boil items 1 to 3 till sugar melted
Step 2: Blend the Lychees
Step 3: Add in Lychees and simmer on low fire for about 10 - 15 mins
Step 4: Set aside in a tupperware to cool and freeze it overnight in the freezer with a lid on
Step 5: Use a fork to scrape the frozen Sorbet to introduce 'air' and also to create the granulated effect

And tada! Serve with some berries, peppermint leaves or even add a dash of Vodka! Enjoy! 


I must say that one of the key main differences in this Jamie Oliver blender is that it is made of glass. I like kitchen aids to be sturdy and this certainly fits into the category. Though heavy, the blending jar is also deep (1.5l effective liquid capacity) and was able to blend the entire load of Lychees at one go, saving me precious time in the kitchen. Additionally, I am pleased to note that it bears the Philips Green Logo which basically means that it offers a significant environmental improvement in one or more of the Philips Green Focal Areas — Energy efficiency, Packaging, Hazardous substances, Weight, Recycling and disposal and Lifetime reliability.


Keep life simple with the PHILIPS | Jamie Oliver range which includes a food processor (S$268), handblender (S$128) and blender (S$108).

Available at leading electronics and departmental stores.


Disclaimer: This is a sponsored review. All opinions expressed are however based on my own experience. 

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Be warned: All content in this blog is copyright protected.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected