We do take administer the prescribed medication but I draw a line at piling her with 5 - 6 different cough and cold meds. Even with fever, we have so far stuck to just Paracetamol without using any Neurofen and just sponging her down and keeping her hydrated and cool.
We do use some simple home remedies and here's some to share:
- Crush a few slices of ginger and seep it in hot water. Add honey and lemon. (. Ginger is known for its antioxidant properties while honey is known for its soothing healing properties. Some replace ginger with turmeric but I find it hard to get the little ones to take anything with turmeric in it.)
- Make Chuan Bei Snow Pear Soup to help dispel and thin phlegm (I do this on alternate days)
- 1 tablespoon of sweet almond and bitter almond each
- 1 tablespoon of Fritillaria Bulbs “Chuan Bei Mu” (川贝母)
- 1 - 2 honey dates
- 1 snow pear cut to 1" cubes
- Wash well
- Place all into double boiler and add in 2 - 3 bowls of soup and bowl over 4 hours minimum
- Tomato juice (The brand "Just Juice" works for us because it is salty. The salt in it usually helps me fight against the start of a sore throat.)
- Starfruit juice with salt (for the same reason as above)
- Manuka honey with a dash of lemon juice
- Chicken Broth with loads of onions, garlic and served hot to aid the nasal congestion
- A few drops of Eucalyptus oil on pillow case OR add it to a basin of hot water and breathe in steam.
- BRAT diet:
- Rice (we cook porridge)
- Apples (we steam ours and mash them)
What are your simple home remedies? Do share!
Disclaimer: These are some simple home remedies which have worked for us and are by no means meant to replace medication or a need for medical advice. Please do discuss with your PD / GP for further advice.