Friday, June 14, 2013

Foodie Fridays - Ayam Nangka Lemak!

I first tried this dish when my helper came back from Indonesia and brought it back along for us to try. The version that I tried then was the 'dry version' where there is no gravy and when it was dried, it basically looked 'suspicious'. But being a foodie, I thought to try anyhow and boy, was I surprised when I took a bite.

It was a combustion of saltiness, spiciness with the fragrance of coconut milk and the texture was smooth and it tasted 'meaty'. I did not know what it was and took another bite and another and another. :p That was the start of my 'love affair' with jackfruit cooked in coconut milk.

:: The gathering list
For the paste:
- 2 stalks of lemongrass cut into small pieces
- 2 pieces of ginger (an inch thick)
- 9 fresh chili
- A handful of dried chili (yes, I am one of those who cook by the agar agar way :p)
- 8 shallots
- 12 cloves of garlic
- 6 - 9 pieces of bird's eye chili (depending on your preference of the level of spiciness)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 - 5 lime leaves
- 2 slices of belachan
- 2 table spoons of ikan bilis (washed and soaked)

- 1 whole chicken 
- half an unriped jackfruit (we had to order this a week in advance from the vegetable seller at our wet market)

:: Preparation
1) Chop up chicken and marinate with oyster sauce, soya sauce, pepper and corn flour. Set aside in fridge (best to marinate for at least 2 hours)
2) Oil knife and cut up unripe jackfruit (fruit + seed) into small 1" pieces. The core however, is to be discarded 
3) Pre boil the unripe jackfruit in a pot of water with about 1 teaspoon of salt added to it for 30mins. Do not cut short this step as this cuts down much stewing time. Strain and set aside


4) Blend the ingredients for the paste (stirring in water - I added about half a cup slowly) and set aside
5) Add in 2 table spoons of oil, heat up wok and added in paste from step 4 and stir fry


6) Add in chicken and coat chicken with paste. Continue to fry for about 5 minutes 
7) Add in the cooked jackfruit (from step 3) and continue to fry for another 5 minutes
8) Add in half a bowl of chicken stock (I used Swanson brand) and half a bowl water. Mix well, cover and simmer for half an hour over low heat.  
9) Add in coconut cream (I used Kara brand, 200 ml), mix well and stew for another 30 mins on low heat

Serve hot over rice and enjoy!

 I really love this dish. The nangka (having been stewed for a while) soaks up the 'goodness' of the gravy: spicy yet creamy, fragrant yet not too heavy.


We are the DinoFamily

4 comments:

  1. Yumz! when are you making this for me :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wah! this one, I think gotta plan. Once we make ah, it is gone very quickly!

      Delete
  2. Finally, I came to peep at this recipe... Looks like a lot of work. I will also wait for you to make and distribute. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is quite tedious :) But was good when it lasted 3 days (we ate up the meat first while the nangka soak up the goodness!) :p

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Be warned: All content in this blog is copyright protected.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected