Friday, September 28, 2012

Comfort food - Laksa!


I don't binge but I can safely say that I love food (as if you can't tell by now!)

I usually am gamed to try most new dishes (unless there are allergy concerns) and am definitely more adventurous as compared to the man when it comes to eating. :p

For loads of Singaporeans, Chicken Rice is their top pick for a national "dish" (read this somewhere before) along perhaps with pepper crabs? I love chicken rice but I also lurve spicy dishes. One of my favorite lunch time hang out is a Korean restaurant in Tanjong Pagar but I will save that for another Foodie Friday post. 

Besides chicken rice, for me, it would be Laksa. Laksa is a popular spicy noodle soup from the Peranakan culture, which is a merger of Chinese and Malay elements found in Malaysia and Singapore, and Indonesia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laksa)
In Singapore, most stalls would serve it with fried beancurd (tau pok), slices of fishcake, sometimes prawns (which I do not fancy), egg with thick vermicelli. But for me, the most important things are: the chili, gravy AND cockles!

The gravy needs to be rich but delicately balanced so that the coconut milk does not overpower the spices and chili in the dish. The tau pok (and this is the only dish that I eat tau pok) then soaks up all the gravy which spurts out in warm spicy bursts as you chew on it.

And the cockles. I know it is not everyone's favourite but it is certainly one of mine! Juicy and "fat", as you chew on it with the gravy, it is just a perfect marriage for me. Laksa just makes me happy! 

What is your favourite local delight? 




Linking up!










4 comments:

  1. I'm hungry now! I love laksa too, and will always go for the Roxy Laksa at Lagoon East Coast Park whenever we have a craving :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LAKSA!!!
    But i dun like it with the fat been hoon, prefer them in thin bee hoon + yellow noodle or kuey teow. Reason is very simple... i always cannot seems to grab those slippery thick bee hoon with the chopsticks! Very frustrating n cannot enjoy my laksa fully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geraldine: Yay, another laksa kahkee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen: the traditional katong type supposedly comes with the thick bee joon all chopped up and you just scoop it with a spoon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Be warned: All content in this blog is copyright protected.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected